Volunteer in Scotland
Our hard-working and creative volunteers support us in a variety of ways.
We’re always looking for new volunteers and new ways for people to get involved with what we do. If you have ideas on how you could raise funds for us, would like to volunteer with us, or can think of other ways you could help us, please contact us. We’re always delighted to hear from new supporters.
One of our vital volunteering roles is raising funds for SLA, and people do this in all sorts of creative and fun ways. We’re delighted to offer support, information and our gratitude to those willing to devise, plan and undertake fundraising events and activities, big or small, for SLA.
Our Fundraising Ambassadors organise events for us on an annual basis. Some of our successful and much-enjoyed events include:
- Annual Book Cafés.
- Bridge and Cream Tea Event and Bridge masterclasses.
- Coffee mornings.
- Art sales.
- Sponsorship of sporting events.
If you’d like to help us in this way, have a think about what you and a few friends might be able to do in your area. We can help by arranging an SLA speaker for your event if that would be helpful, and/or can provide leaflets and information for you to distribute.
Volunteers are central to the success of our family-friendly, community fundraising ‘Fireworks Extravaganzas’ events in November. Fireworks volunteers undertake a range of roles, including stewarding, marshalling and catering. We’re always keen to hear from new volunteers who’d like to help us by volunteering at these one-off annual events, so if you’re interested please sign up to volunteer.
There are a variety of ways to get involved in our office, including:
- Assisting with basic admin.
- Helping with practical tasks.
- Working in the office and/or from home on ‘special projects’, usually involving undertaking background research (examples include fundraising/funding sources, promotion of SLA to new audiences, monitoring and evaluation, etc).
- The time commitment can be flexible, so if you’re interested and think you have skills to offer that would be useful please sign up to volunteer.
In India, poor sanitation and hygiene translate into an estimated 1000 children under five years of age dying from diarrhoea every day