Fundraise for Us
Our supporters provide invaluable help in raising funds.
There are lots of ways individuals can help SLA:
- Come to one of our fundraising events – there are lots to choose from, like our annual fireworks extravaganzas, our book sale (tickets include free books and free soup!) bridge events, a ladies cinema night and talks. There are some new events planned for 2020 so watch this space.
- Volunteer with us as a ‘one-off’ (for example at one of the fireworks displays), or longer-term.
- Organise a fundraiser for SLA using our ‘Do a Little Change, a Lot!’ Challenge, or the ‘Bake a little love’ initiative – see below for more info.
- See our Resources page for lots of useful items to download to help you get started on your fundraising.
Do a Little, Change a Lot!
Everyone has the capacity to do a little, which can in turn change a lot, in the lives of the children SLA supports. A good place to start is:
- Download the Do a Little, Change a Lot Fundraising Pack or request it by contacting the SLA Office.
- Have a think about what you enjoy doing already; could you use your skills for a fundraising event?
- If you’re a keen cook or baker, a cookery event, ‘bake-off’ or coffee morning are always popular ideas. We also have our ‘Bake a Little Love’ off-the-shelf events – we can send you a ‘starter pack’ to help organise one of these.
- Quiz nights and karaoke nights are great ways to have fun whilst raising valuable funds.
- Some people have great skills in arts and crafts, knitting, making jewellery or cards or even tasty treats like marmalade or tablet. Could you make and sell something to friends and family?
Small fundraising activities all add up to a significant financial contribution to the work of SLA. Never underestimate even the smallest thing you can do – it really can change a lot.
If you are participating in a sponsored event and donating the proceeds to SLA, please:
- Contact us to request an official SLA sponsorship form to collect your sponsor money.
- And/or set up your own online sponsorship page through Justgiving, who we partner with. They will handle donations for your sponsored event securely and efficiently.
A number of schools have undertaken fundraising events and activities over the years. Please contact us to find out more about how your school can get involved in helping us raise funds. We’re always keen to talk to schools and other groups about how we can work together.
Why not get a whole class – or the whole school! – involved in a sponsorship event, and participate in the SLA Rice Relay Challenge?
SLA can support primary schools interested in India in general, and our work in particular. We recently spoke to a primary 6 class about gender equality and our projects, in relation to the Sustainable Development Goals, which they were learning about in class. We are happy to tailor talks and presentations – just let us know what you need.
Our ‘Schools Pack’ contains lesson plans which meet the National Curriculum for Excellence guidelines, activities and fundraising ideas.
Please do contact us to discuss these or other opportunities in more detail, we’d love to hear from you.
21 million primary aged children in India are deprived of basic education
UNICEF & UNESCO INSTITUTE for STATISTICS (UIS)